Monday, November 30, 2015

Tis the Season

I tend to get pretty grumpy around Halloween time.  You see, Thanksgiving is my favorite.  But rather than getting to enjoy the beauty of Fall (well, actually the hot, dry, static of California Fall...), I start feeling the Christmas pressure the moment the pumpkin spice latte memes begin their internet rotation.

I love Thanksgiving for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, the candied yams.  But also because it's really the only holiday that isn't about getting something.  It's a day we can sit back and enjoy food and family without the chaos of wrapping paper remains or candy comas.  And now that we have kids, I want to share the simplicity of Thanksgiving and impress upon them the importance of being thankful when the world is rushing to spend, spend, spend, and get, get, get.

And as the Christmas sales threaten my serenity, I want to jump on the "reason for the season" band wagon with the best of them.

But this year, as I watched Makayla's eyes widen at the first sight of twinkling lights (I think it was October 1st), I felt myself wanting to be annoyed...but actually getting the teeniest bit excited for the sparkle.

When she was eager to get prize after prize at the Halloween carnival, I had to stop and remind myself that every other day of the year, she's a giver.  Truthfully.  Every day she makes crafts for her friends, draws pictures for me, gives hugs, offers the first bite of her dessert...she has a generous heart. (She's human...and 4...but honestly, she's amazing.)

When she got tired of me asking her "what are you thankful for?" I had to stop and consider that we pray each night, giving thanks for all we have.

When she made Santa's sleigh and reindeer using the nativity figures I nearly corrected her.  But then something hit me. 
[Oh, she knows that Christmas is really Jesus' birthday.  She's been throwing Him party after party.  But that's not even the point.]
I realized that she loves Jesus every day of the year.  She learns about Him at Sunday school each week.  We talk about Him and to Him each day.  She loves the Lord all year long.  Her belief in Santa and her excitement about the sparkle and magic of the holidays don't threaten that.

I want to raise her to be thankful and generous and thoughtful all year long.  But I don't need to squash the fun of the holidays to do that.

I've had time to reflect and see what society values as the shopping insanity begins earlier and earlier.  But she has no clue about that.  She is just excited.  Legitimately excited about a time of year when things are extra shiny and she gets to help her daddy decorate with lights.

For an entire year now, she has been saving coins in her piggy bank to buy ice skates.  But last night we saw Santa and when he asked her want she wanted for Christmas - without a moment of hesitation - she replied, "ice skates!"  Walking away she told us, "if Santa brings me ice skates, I'll have lots of money to save for something else!"  That's not greed.  That's just good business.

***

So I'm letting myself off the hook.

It's not my job to remind her every moment of the month of November that we should be thankful for what we have.  
It's my job to stop everything, praise God quietly, and smother her with hugs when she tells me, "Mommy, I'm so thankful for my brother."  

I don't have to be embarrassed when she points at 10 different toys when her grandmother asks what she'd like for Christmas.  
It's my job to show her gratitude when she gives me gifts. 

I don't have to fear that she will become greedy and ungenerous because she wants gifts at Christmas.
It's my job to encourage her generosity and show her how to be kind. 

It's not necessary to pound into her that Jesus is the reason for the season.
It's my job to teach her that He is the author, creator, and perfecter of everything. All the time.

Being a grump about the holiday sparkle probably never brought anyone to see the true light.

***

I hate to admit it, but I think this year Christmas might be my favorite.  As long as I get to make candied yams again.

No comments:

Post a Comment